Valentine’s day is coming, in no time!
And I’ve finished making picture taking, video taping the 8 day “A Beautiful Romantic Healthy Valentine’s Day on a Budget” project as planned 3 days ago, https://mabel8ble.wordpress.com/tag/live-well/except final editing the videos to Youtube.
This is uniquely Mabel’s (that’s moi) distinct style of food and event that you can’t find anything similar else where. It has to be delicious, healthy, affordable, easy to digest. Usually I don’t spend much time to make a fuss on plating, but I specially make it romantic and beautiful for this Valentine’s day event.
I am very proud to present you a knock-your-socks-off, scrumptious and decadent 3 courses romantic Valentine’s dinner plus 2 drinks, in a beautiful candle and light setting. Guarantee to win over your Valentine, well, at least for the night.
The best things is that you don’t even have to feel guilty. The meal is healthy with a decadent twist. It’s well paired, well balanced in nutrition, color, taste, and texture. Every versions of the fatty rich decadent dish like Fondue, Beurre Blanc, Dark Chocolate Ganache,.. is tweaked into something equally palatable if not more but drastically with less fat.
The French probably would reject big time my using their gastronomical term of Beurre Blanc as I used mostly organic milk with little butter in that sauce. Beurre Blanc literally means Butter White.
Whatever you call it, the food is better than most of the fine dining restaurants both in terms of healthy and taste, no to mention the cost. Trust me, I’ve tried many fine dining. Some outstandingly out of this world, mostly I was disappointedly angry of being ripped off. For the taste, it’s not totally that I am a better cook, a lot of time it’s something to do with bottom line of a business, as there’s different cost and quality in ingredients and labor.
And that’s not the beauty of all. The dishes and setting are inspired by ingredients and items that I already have in my refrigerator and my house. Except the dozen Roses of $14.99, I didn’t have to go out to buy any extra food. The cost of the meal for 2 total about $25-$30 for everything including the Roses. I actually made extra of a lot of items. If I add about $10-$15 for the perishables like spinach, get more ice cream, mashed potatoes, the fondue items like bread, broccoli and wonton, I can easily serve 4-6 people with 4 huge chicken pieces and 1 wild caught fish steak.
It’s very close to my planned menu on Day 2 and 3, with some minor changes. https://mabel8ble.wordpress.com/2013/02/03/day-2-and-3-some-where-over-the-rainbow-a-beautiful-romantic-easy-healthy-delicious-valentines-day-on-a-budget/
1. Garlic Ham/pork Fondue, w/finger food sized a) steamed/blanched broccoli, b)Garlic Bread c)cooked Wonton, d) chopped dry cranberry and rose flower ribbons on top of fondue.
This fondue is totally Mabel’s (that’s moi) wing-it version, not as smooth and creamy like the traditional ones with lots of roasted nuts and some lean ham/pork in place of lots of cheese. Way less fat, but, is s–o— tasty with all different flavor profiles. You can use fondue sticks or simply you hands. Fun to feed each over the creamy fondue. Sorry I couldn’t find my 2 fondue sets at this time to showcase in the picture.
2. Tangerine Salad in Chobani Peach Yogurt sauce flavored with little Cranberry Cocktail and pasion Fruit juice.
Tangy, refreshing, digestive, perfect palate cleanser after the fondue, or main dishes.
1. Low Fat Pineapple Apricot Honey Glazed Chicken, with Organic Baby Spinach, and garlic cheese mashed potatoes, No Fat Shiitake mushroom gravy/sauce, dried Cranberry and Pomegranate seeds. Since I squeezed the juice from the inedible pineapple flesh with those thorny eyes of the pineapple (for my compose) together with the edible part my GF gave me, I made the Pineapple Apricot glaze instead of Tangerine Apricot glaze planned .
OMG, finger licking good!!! Where you’d find something that fills your taste buds with such pleasure and happiness. Mine mine mine. Insane.
2. Low Fat Onion White Pepper Mix Roasted Nut Crusted Wild Caught Ono Fish Steak, Low Fat “Beurre Blanc” sauce (again, Mabel’s version), Organic Whole Wheat Pasta with Red Wine Garlic Olive n V8 juice, Tender Moringa Pods*. You can absolutely use other greens like Spinach to replace the tender moringa pods. I will dedicate a post alone for Moringa. Well, so much to write and so little time. (update, I got it done, pictures and video lots of fun healthy info. https://mabel8ble.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/miracle-tree-super-food-moringa-omalunggay-n-buttery-pili-nut-yummy-exotic-food-gifts-of-the-philippines-2/ accidentally after I received a little 125g bag of Philippine Cacao w Malunggay Seeds. Got me curious what the heck is Malunggay, which indeed sounds very familiar, turned out Malunggay = to Moringa. Check out the link above for more details)
The Ono fish is rough like salmon except with not much fat as salmon. To made it worse, I let it thaw for a few days as I was too tired to cook. W–a–y to long, So much of juice got out. Of course I used the juice. I was ready to do another piece. But the pepper oniony nut crust totally made it alright. It’s a very healthy delightful savory dish. It work so well with the garlicky olive flavor whole wheat pasta.
French Salty Caramel Ice Cream top with Pomegranate Seeds and drizzled with Coconut Butter Dark Chocolate Ganache w/Condensed Milk and Black Raspberry Liqueur (Chambord) in it, with NO Cream No Butter added.
You’ve got to try this one!!! that coconut dark chocolate ganache is heavenly!!! It’s s—0—- creamy and smooth, decadent decadent, intoxicated! Worked very well with that stored bought ice cream my GF and her lovely daughter gave me that taste like Sea Water Taffy. I had a lot of left over and it’s long gone into my stomach. Such guilty pleasure, actually not that guilty after all, it has so much less fat that the regular one.
Please please please use HIGH QUALITY chocolate. Thank you very much. Trust me, this is not the place to save money.
- Licorice Hibiscus Herbal Tea : plain but so beautiful so right for the occation, another palate cleaser also help great deal to digest all the creamy suculent morsels. it absolute is part of a great meal.
- Hot or cold Chocolate with Raspberry Liqueur
Simply feeling good and Intoxicated. Even though I only put in about 1.5 tsp Liquuer (? have to check the video) and I boiled away the alcholhol, I still had the relaxing, contented and tingling sensation all at the same time. I made the concoction very diluted for me.
Same with the Chocolate Ganache, Please please please use HIGH QUALITY chocolate, and Filtered Water. Thank you very much.
Oh I can’t find lots of my flameless candles either, so Xmas lighting came into rescue. The ambiance is even better I think.
Finally, dress up for the occasion. Again, the only makeup item I could find is a tube of red lipstick, the “Pit Bull with Lipstick “. I put a little bit on the cheek bones as well. I think it’s decent enough. A very little dabs of perfume would be delightful and any accessaries agreeing with Valentine’s tone and your whole outfit would be good. Get the right amount in the right places. Guys, please shave and dress neatly. With that said, beauty is just a skin deep, so be kind and attentive to you date, your wifie, your hubby… Put in some music, You are in business. I promise you’d have the best time of you days, with such g–o–o–d food. You n—e—rver know what’d happen.
If I don’t have to do all the picture taking, video taping, blogging and youtubing, I can do everything 1 day, except for thawing and marinated time. You can do some of the items like sauce, fondu, ganache a few day to 1 week earlier so you have more time with your date.
I will work my ass off to edit mountains of video taping to show you how I make all the above dishes in Youtube, hopefully in a short time.
Happy Valentine’s Day Everybody. The night is young. Love love love.
Live Well, Eat Healthy, Have Fun.